Saturday, October 2, 2010

Unexpected Surprise



Our union at work has been negotiating medical benefits - it has been very confusing, as they decided to go to tiered benefits with pooling. I went to a meeting about it several weeks ago, and my mind was spinning when I left. I barely learned what these words meant and just hoped that we wouldn't be paying too much when it was all said and done. It looked like we would be paying up to $400 every month rather than $200 every month like we did last year. Paying an extra $200 each month was going to be challenging given our new expenses for school. This past Thursday my paycheck was deposited into our account, and we noticed that they did not take out any money for medical expenses. We guessed that they didn't yet have the total amount that each employee would be paying, so Peter and I figured that they would take out double the amount for next paycheck. Then I got an e-mail from our union yesterday saying we don't have to pay anything at all for medical expenses! This was completely unexpected and quite a big surprise for us. It's pretty cool how things like that happen, especially as Peter is just about to finish up his job at Halton. I think someone is watching over us.... :)

No comments: