Thursday, June 14, 2012

Strawberries!


Last year Peter and I planted strawberry plants on the side of our house. We had all of the ivy removed and decided to use the space to actually grow something we like. It has been fun seeing them grow. We've been picking a few ripe berries over the past week, but today there were a whole bunch of bigger, ripe berries. They're not as sweet as we'd like, so we just add a little bit of sugar :). I have also been picking strawberries at the field near our house - I picked almost 20 pounds this week. I wish I could get the kids to pick more berries with me, but they spend most of the time being freaked out if they see a bug or complaining that it is too hot or time to go. It kind of ruins the relaxing atmosphere of berry picking. Conner and Marisa helped me pick one day this week which was nice to have help. Last year the berries we picked lasted us about 6 months, so I'm hoping to pick a little bit more this year. Kelsey loves having frozen strawberries for snack (which is better than the Cheez-its, Lays potato chips, and heavily buttered popcorn that she usually eats!)

No comments: