Saturday, June 23, 2012

Pie Class









I have wanted to learn how to make a pie for quite awhile. I saw that a class was being offered at Pacific Pie Company in SE Portland, so I asked my mom if she would come with me. After driving for an hour through tons of traffic, we finally made it and had a great time (besides both of us sweating profusely because of the heat in the kitchen). My mom and I were joking about me being the "problem student" because I was the only one in the class who requested not to make a strawberry rhubarb pie, we were late to class, I didn't bring a pie plate, I changed my mind part way through the class about what kind of crust I wanted on top of my pie, etc. The instructors were actually very nice and helpful, though, and seemed to put up with me. They taught us how to make fruit pies, cream pies, and pies with graham cracker crusts. Mom's pie turned out beautifully (as you can see in the picture) even though she wasn't quite sure about it when she put it in the oven. Mine was pretty before it went into the oven, but then the blueberries bubbled over through the cutouts on top....so much for the pretty hearts! It looked even worse when I got home as even more fruit ran out on top of the pie. It actually was really funny when I opened the box to show them what I made at class - they weren't very impressed but were still supportive of my efforts :). Conner and I split a piece of their peanut butter and chocolate pie which is to die for if you ever have a chance to go there!

No comments: