Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Mystery Ingredient in Tonight's Dinner






Peter and I had another fun day of cooking. Peter loves pork and doesn't get to eat it very often (because I don't really like it.... :) So he bought a big pork roast the other day and marinated it overnight. I saw a recipe on one of my favorite cooking blogs (thepioneerwoman.com) for red potatoes so I decided to give them a try. I was also inspired to make a devil's food cake out of my new favorite cookbook. There is a secret ingredient in it, and I was racing to puree it before the kids woke up because I knew they wouldn't eat the cake if they knew what was in it. They came downstairs just as I was about to put the container in the refrigerator. Of course they wanted to know what it was because they had never seen anything that color before! They kept insisting all day that they wanted to know what it was. They guessed radishes, cabbage, carrots, prunes, etc. Peter and I told them that we would tell them after they ate it. The dinner turned out absolutely delicious, especially the pork roast. To the kids' surprise, they loved the cake. Conner guessed the secret ingredient (when we showed him the picture on the can). For his prize he got the extra can (I bought one too many). He was thrilled with his prize :) He definitely agreed that he wouldn't have eaten it if he knew what was in it.

No comments: